If one or more of your teeth are missing, there are a number of ways to replace them. Dental implants are an alternative to bridges, partials, or complete dentures. They replace missing roots and support artificial replacement teeth. They are comfortable and look like natural teeth.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is an artificial root made of titanium metal. The dentist inserts it into the jawbone to replace the root of the natural tooth. An artificial replacement tooth attaches to the implant. The implant acts as an anchor to hold the replacement tooth in place.
Who can get dental implants?
If you are in good general health, have healthy gums and have enough bone in the jaw to hold an implant, dental implants might be right for you. If your jawbone has shrunk or if it has not developed normally, you may be able to have a bone graft to build up the bone. A bone graft is a way of adding new bone to your jawbone. Dr. Hanson will tell you if you are eligible for bone grafting.
What is the dental implant procedure like?
- Dr. Hanson will carefully examine your mouth and take x-rays of your head, jaw, and teeth to find out if dental implants are right for you.
- During the first stage of surgery, Dr. Hanson will put a dental implant into your jawbone beneath the gum tissue and then stitch it back into place. As the tissue heals, the implant will bond with the bone and attach to the gum. It can take several months to heal.
- During the second stage of surgery after tissue heals, Dr. Hanson will attach an abutment to the implant. An abutment is a post that connects the replacement tooth to the implant. In some cases, the first and second stage of implant surgery may be done in one single stage.
- Dr. Hanson attaches an artificial replacement tooth to the abutment. It may take several appointments for the replacement tooth to fit properly.
- When replacing several teeth or all of your teeth, a fixed bridge is anchored to your dental implants. A bridge is a dental restoration that replaces one or more missing teeth by spanning an area that has no teeth.
New You DentureTM
Traditional or conventional dentures have continued to decline in quality by succumbing to market demands for low costs and mass production. The problem is that no two mouths are alike and one-size-fits-all has actually become one size fits nobody.
Dr. Hanson is committed to using a denture system designed specifically for each patient’s unique needs. By combining aesthetic training with advanced denture building techniques and technologies, Dr. Hanson can often achieve dramatic results not possible with conventional dentures.
The Benefits of New You DentureTM
As you lose teeth, the unsupported jawbone begins to shrink. As much as 50% to 75% can be lost forever. The result is the dreaded sunken in look that identifies denture wearers.
Conventional dentures do not replace the original contours of the face that we associate with youth and health; full lips, strong profile, filled out lower facial features.
New You DentureTM is different. They use your existing jawbone as the bedrock for a cantilevered denture. They are hand crafted to return your profile as close as possible to its original proportions, conveying youth, health, and a confident and beautiful smile.
New You DentureTM is the solution for you if you want:
- A more attractive, natural smile
- A neuromuscular/cosmetic approach to denture building and treatment that will allow you to maintain optimum muscle relaxation, bite and function that translates directly into the appearance of your dentures
- Great facial support that eliminates the sunken-in look
- To look better and feel better – some patients look 20 years younger!